Travel and Arrival Checklist - Long Term Stay




Travel and Arrival Checklist - Long Term Stay

  • Do you need a visa?

    Students with Egyptian nationality usually do. Don't travel to Germany with a tourist visa if you are staying in Germany for more than three months! It is not possible to convert a tourist visa into a student visa after arrival in Germany.

  • Do you have a valid passport?

    You need a valid passport to apply for your visa.

  • Did you contact your academic supervisor in Germany?

    Whether you write your thesis in Germany or participate in a full master/PhD program: Once you know where you are going, please make sure that you get in touch with your academic supervisor BEFORE you come to Germany. Thereby you can be sure that everyone involved is aware about you. This might sound trivial but we had cases of students arriving without anyone at the German host university knowing about them.

  • Where will you be living?

    Students in Germany either live in a university dorm or in private accommodation. In contrast to many other countries, Germany's universities do not automatically allocate a room when you register for your course.
    GUC has its own dorm in Ulm, rooms are allocated through the Travel Office, Communications & External Relations Department. Please register with them as early as possible. In Stuttgart and Tuebingen, GUC has special arrangements, usually available semester wise (01 March-30 August, 01 September-28 February). Please contact our office ( at least eight weeks in advance. For all other cities you will have to go on flat hunting yourself.
    One option is living in a shared flat (called Wohngemeinschaften in German, or just WG), it is probably the most popular form of accommodation among students.

    The other option is living in a dorm. German dorms are administered by Student Services (Studentenwerk). The room is usually fully furnished and might cost you between 158 and 358 euros per month. This often includes internet, TV and laundry facilities.
    In big cities, it might be quite difficult to find a room on short notice and you can't choose your fellow flatmates. This list contains most Student Services in Germany:

  • Did you check your health insurance coverage in Germany?

    Health insurance is mandatory in Germany and you will not be able to enroll at a university or start working as an intern without it. In most cases, the health insurance you got in Egypt to acquire the visa is not sufficient. It depends on the university what kind of health insurance they want you to have. Some universities accept private student health insurance (e.g. MAWISTA). Other universities require a membership in a public/national health insurance (e.g. AOK or TK ). While MAWISTA costs around 38 euro per month, public health insurance is around 78 euro per month. Please check the website of your university’s IO or ask for details.

  • Do you have enough money?

    • Rent (300-400 Euro)
    • Rent Deposit (3xRent)
    • Health Insurance (78 Euro monthly)
    • Semester Fee (depending on the university and city, around 100 Euro)
    • Semester Ticket for Public Transportation (100-400 Euro, depending on the city)
    • Registration Fee and Residence Permit (around 100 Euro)
    • Mobile and Internet (depends on you)
    • Furnishing, kitchen equipment, bed linen etc.

    After you have found accommodation and settled down, your monthly living expenses for a regular student lifestyle will probably be around 700 Euro per month.

    This link provides a regional overview:

    Before you apply in Germany you should be aware that in principle you will have to live of your own personal funds or scholarship resources only. Regardless of your future status at your university there will never be a guarantee that you will get a job to support yourself during your stay.

  • Do you have all the official documents you need?

    • Valid passport
    • Valid students visa (if you plan to study)
    • Admission letter or letter of acceptance from your hosting university/institute
    • Official Transcript of Records from GUC
    • Confirmation that you have a monthly amount of approximately 650 € at your disposal (e. g. confirmation of a scholarship, original bank documents, travelers cheques etc.)
    • Several passport sized biometric photographs
    • Health insurance accepted in Germany
    • Vaccination card
    • International driver’s license and original driver’s license (if you want to drive a car)
  • Do you know the first steps you should take after your arrival?

    • Depending on where you are, introduce yourself either at the GUC German Office or at the International Office of your university. Ask for orientation activities and other programs especially for international students.
    • Introduce yourself to your academic supervisor
    • Open a German bank account if you haven’t already done that in Cairo
    • Sign your rent contract, pay your deposit
    • Make sure you have the required health insurance
    • Register/Enroll at the hosting university
    • Register at the Foreigners’ Registration Office and apply for residence permit