Arriving, Living and Studying in Germany
When you get to Germany, you should:
1. go to the International Office of your university, they might enroll you or tell you where to enroll as a visiting student (PhD students might be enrolled as regular exchange students)
- Admission fees (please check the specific fee at your host institution, at UUlm exchange students currently have to pay a student union fee of 87 € a semester). As many GUC students come to Germany during the summer term, it is likely that they will have to pay for two semesters, even if they are only coming for 6 months
- As a full student at Baden-Württemberg: study fee amounting to 1500 € per semester
- Please note that the DAAD neither reimburses the students union fee, nor the study fee. It is expected that the scholarship covers these expenses.
2. go to the Ausländerbehörde to sign up with the city
3. with those documents go to the bank and open an account. Then you can provide the GUC project coordinator responsible for your scholarship payment with a filled and signed bank account confirmation form
4. go to your supervisor and ask him/ her to sign and stamp an arrival confirmation
Then your scholarship documents (signed declaration of acceptance & guidelines), the signed bank account confirmation and your arrival confirmation can be forwarded to the financial department of the respective university. Please note that the transfer of your funds to your German bank account can take up to 4 weeks. You should therefore bring some funds with you or make arrangements for money transfers from Egypt.
It would be good if you contact the International Office of your host institution as soon as possible to check with them for housing and any other questions you may have. If you are coming to Ulm University, please contact email@example.com. Please especially inquire about documents you may need, if you have a private insurance (f.e. Mawista), and inform yourself about additional costs like admission fees.