Tübingen is located in the State of Baden-Württemberg, 40 km south of Stuttgart, 90 km west of Ulm, and about 250 km from Frankfurt in the North and Munich in the East. Among the approx. 90,000 inhabitants of Tübingen, there are more than 25,000 students, giving it a very special young atmosphere. Like many German towns, Tübingen owns a picturesque medieval center, and the University looks back on a tradition of more than 500 years of excellent research and teaching. Besides being a place of learning, Tübingen has a unique charm and offers many options for leisure and relaxation.
- High quality of life: Located on the Neckar river, Tübingen has a historic center with many cafés, restaurants, and shops, and it is surrounded by beautiful countryside. The Black Forest and the Swabian Jura mountains are not far away and provide opportunities for outdoor activities – including skiing in winter.
- Safety: It’s a place in which young and old alike can move around without fear anywhere and anytime.
- Excellent healthcare available to everyone – with many medical specialists at the University Hospitals and doctor’s offices in town
- Short distances and good public transport: Get around easily on foot, by bike or by bus.
- Many cultural activities in town, and Stuttgart offers exhibitions, museums, theater, opera and ballet close by
Tübingen stands for:
- A cosmopolitan atmosphere, which helps international guests settle in quickly
- Long traditions and renowned alumni: Since the foundation of the Uni in 1477, many intellectual greats have studied or worked in Tübingen, such as Kepler, Alzheimer, Miescher (who discovered the "nucleic acids"), or nobel laureate Nüsslein-Volhard
- A town that is also a campus: University buildings are located all over the city – in the historic center, on the outskirts and in between.
- An excellent reputation: Tübingen takes high positions in international rankings, and our graduates are sought after in both research and business.
- A location in the heart of Europe, close to Stuttgart, home of Bosch, Mercedes and Porsche. Stuttgart airport which can be reached in less than one hour offers connections all over the continent, and also to some non-European destinations.